An integrated campaign to help patients Shape Up 4 Surgery
Leeds Teaching Hospitals is one of the biggest NHS trusts in the country, performing 50,000 planned operations every year. The trust appointed Bolser to devise a campaign to raise awareness of how to prepare for surgery, with the aim of improving outcomes and reducing recovery times.
Connecting with the audience
Persuading people to change habits established over a lifetime is no easy task. So it was essential that the campaign message connected with the target audience. The benefits had to be clear and the goals achievable. The campaign also had to work across multiple media including social, web, print and video.
Putting the PLAN into action
Our UX team began the project with an in-depth discovery phase which included mapping out the user journey and touchpoints. It was clear from the research that the concept needed to be simple and memorable with impactful creative and a multi-media, integrated approach, to maximise reach and engagement. We centred the ‘Shape Up 4 Surgery’ campaign around the word ‘PLAN’ which highlighted the 4 key areas to focus on in the weeks leading up to an operation.:
- Physical - exercise & movement
- Lifestyle - eating and wellbeing
- Awareness - smoking & drinking
- Next Steps - preparing for surgery
Accessibility was an essential factor so our creative team designed the campaign to be soft and approachable, incorporating hand drawn typography, inclusive character illustrations and multi-use graphics to convey the messaging.
To ensure maximum impact we implemented a fully integrated multi media campaign including:
- A new ‘Shape Up 4 Surgery’ microsite.
- An animated video to visually demonstrate the surgical journey.
- A promotional van wrap, for Trust delivery vans.
- Bus vinyls promoting the 'PLAN'
- A digital advert promoting ‘PLAN’ for use in Millenium Square in Leeds and across the City.
- A printed postcard for patients to sign up to, promoting PLAN benefits.
- Targeted social media ad campaigns across Facebook and Instagram.
- Social media templates, video snippets, profile pictures and banners for use by the LTHT team.
High impact with great on-target reach
The campaign was a huge success, generating over 1,000,000 impressions and over 5,000 landing page views in the first 2 months. What's more, the click through rate by far exceeded healthcare industry averages, while the cost per click was well below.